Google Search

Custom Search

Monday, January 31, 2011

Socarrat Paella Bar

Soccarat Paella Bar - 219 W 19th St. bet. 7th & 8th Ave.


"Socarrat (Catalan), quintessence of the perfect paella and for which the restaurant is named, is the delectable, sensuous crust that forms on the bottom of the paella pan when the liquid is rendered and the rice reaches its peak of succulence."



After a long day of work, me and my boys got together from some good ol' brothershipping. We were finally celebrating Keith's new job at a premier Wall Street firm and Josh's new job on the West Coast,  meaning he's chuckin' the deuces to New York City. While I am extremely sad to lose my favorite homie and former Brooklyn and college roommate, the breaking news means that I am able to release Josh's greatest dining secret: Socarrat Paella Bar, a small cozy spot in the heart of Chelsea.  Josh always swore me to secrecy on this place, and it is with great honor and respect that I share it with you.



Socarrat is bifurcated by exposed brick that separates the establishment into a wine bar and a small dining room. I arrived a few minutes late to find the Nupes indulging in the institution's sangria. We then started a bottle of pinot noir and brought the bottle with us over to the dinning room.

I use the phrase "dining room" instead of dining area because it is barely larger than the room where mom and dad served you most of your favorite meals. It seats like 30 people at any given time.



Cochinillo - Roasted Suckling Pig rested on a bed of sauteed spinach


I've stated in past posts that I'm not a fan of swine, but I am quickly discovering the the versatility of the other white meat. I have now welcomed pork into my life.  The conchinillo (a special not on the menu) tastes like a very tender pork chop without the bone.  The meat actually peels out in layers.  I  The bacon fat glaze accentuates the meal.

Bonito - Tuna Belly,  Fresh Spinach, Cherry Tomatoes, Olive Oil

I can't describe this tapas dish better than Josh did that night:

"The Spinach balances out the rest of the flavors. With the saltiness of the tuna belly and the sweet tartness of the cherry tomatoes, the spinach cuts it."


Indeed!


The main event...

Paella Socarrat - chunks of chicken, fish & beef, shrimp, cuttle fish, green beans, mussels, cockle clams

Remember when momma use to use make a rice dish and sometimes the bottom would get burnt, and you'd leave that party for your annoying little brother?  Well, you're not leaving that part to chance.  The paella is served piping hot, but the waiter insists that you give the dish time to let the bottom caramelize. This is the essence of socarrat.  The caramelized part is the best...

Josh, I'm gonna miss your DSLR Camera..


Service

Because the place is so small, it's hard for the service to be bad.  However, the waiters don't slack.  They are are social, personable, and, most importantly, attentive.  They flow in and out of conversation effortlessly.  If you can, I recommend sitting toward the back because the waiter back there rocks (I've ended up in the back twice, second time on purpose).  No disrespect to the waiter upfront.

Experience

Because this spot is cozy, it's a choice spot for the small gathering (2-3 people max...maybe 4).   The spot is intimate and not intimidating at the same time.  What you see is what you get: great food and good wine.


- Food Mave

No comments:

Post a Comment