Google Search

Custom Search

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Chef Roble's Seared Tuna Rendition

Me and Chef Roble

   So I met Bravo Television star Chef Roble last month at a gala fundraiser we both attended for the Evidence Dance Company (shout out to my wonderful mentor for the look). Even bought my first tuxedo :).  I was trying to figure out how I was gonna say what up to him when I saw my entrance point: his suit jack collar was unpleasantly popped.  So I did what any brother would do for another: I walked up to him and fixed it (and simultaneously intro'd myself). I told him I was a big fan of him and his ridiculously hilarious Twitter feed. 

    While I was Facebook stalking him (don't judge me), I came across one of these dishes he made in like 10 minutes..

Link to actual Roble pic


I said to myself, "Self, that looks damned good!"  So I transformed like Optimus Prime into Chef Maven and decided to hook it up.  It was pretty easy.

Optimus Prime - defender of the Free World.


I went to Best Yet supermarket and got some tuna (sidenote: has anyone noticed how Tuna has been revalued at a higher price in recent times?  Joint is dumb expensive now).

Recipe:

- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 (6-oz) Ahi steaks, about 1 1/2" thick (ask for "sear" or "sushi" grade if cooking medium rare)
- 4 tbsp fresh coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, quartered



Directions:
1. I put all the spices in a bowl and mixed it up. 
2. Since my steaks were like 3" thick I sliced them in half. and then chopped them in to lengths that looked like Roble's picture.
3. I coated all sides with the spice and then squeeze lemon over it.
4. Got a pan and threw the veggie oil on it.  Heated it up until I started to see some smoke come from it
5. Commenced searing (which is pretty much another word for frying. Think of "frying lite").  Seared each side for about 30 secs. 
6. Steamed some of my favorite veggies (kale - the super food- and asparagus)
7. Got some rice (I used Madagascar pink rice because it's high in minerals. It's got tons of potassium, manganese, and molybdenum.

Voila!
Seared tuna is very easy to make.  It's really healthy, too.  I would be very light on the coriander, though.  I think it's an acquired taste.  Good luck!

-Maven Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment