Google Search

Custom Search

Sunday, February 13, 2011

French Connection: Nougatine at Jean-Georges

Nougatine - a Jean Georges Vongerichten Restaurant. Columbus Circle. Trump Hotel.


In March 1997, Vongerichten opened Jean Georges restaurant in the Trump International Hotel and Tower, earning a four star review from The New York Times less than three months after opening, and the "Chef of the Year Award" from John Mariani at Esquire. Jean Georges Restaurant remains one of five restaurants in the city awarded three stars by the Michelin Guide.

My friend April was late.  We were suppose to see Mooz-lum (Go see that movie.  Nia Long reaches Angela Basset status in here) at 1:30pm, but she got into train issues coming from New Jerus.  That just meant we had to eat until the next showing :-)  My boss told me about Nougatine @ Jean-Georges, which is one of the many NYC homes of French chef Jean Georges Vongerichten (Spice Market, Jojo Market, Lagoon Dune, ABC Kitchen).  Furthermore, my homie Jean Hsu (www.jeanjhsu.com/) raved about his Perry St. location, so I had to see what the dealy was.

Jean George is the perfect place to catch an early lunch or early dinner.  For $28 (from 12pm-3pm daily) you get an appetizer, an entree, and a dessert.  I recommend sharing everything. #FTW (for the win).



Fried Calamari with basil salt and citrus chili dip


The calamari was the freshest I've ever tasted. I mean, it looked like actual calamari:

The Canon died, but the iPhone 3Gs camera filled in valiantly 


The second app..

Shrimp salad, avocado, tomato, champagne vinegar dressing

I grew up hating vinegar.  Them Kraft bottle dressings just ain't right.  However, homemade dressing I can do.  The dressing was very light and very citrusy.  The shrimp, while cooked, had a raw and crunchy feel to it. I thoroughly enjoyed it.



I ate sting ray.  By far, the most ballinest sh*t ever!! (said in Dave Chapelle voice). Now all I need are some tyrannosaurus eggs...




Ladies and gentlemen, skate (sting ray) is the best type of fish I've eaten, by far!  The white fish is so buttery and so soft that is practically melts in your mouth (now I know why those devil rays stay with that impenetrable armour - they've got a lot to loose).  The nutmeg and cinnamon really make the fish and black beans pop, as well.



Roasted red snapper, spaghetti squash, sesame broth in chili oil



The squash soaking up the sesame broth...


I was told by my wonderful friend that spaghetti squash is created by scooping out the inside of a squash.  When you do so, the insides actually comes out in a string-like fashion resembling spaghetti.  Faint-tasting, the squash played second fiddle to the sesame broth and chili oil.  #Nicely-done.


Now, the whole reason why I came here in the first place...

Jean Georges' warm chocolate melting cake served with Madagascar vanilla bean.

Anyone who knows me knows that I live for warm chocolate melting cake. I used to use my Duke University food points to splurge at the Fairview Inn Restaurant back in the day.  I absolutely love it.   When you slice into your very own chocolatey version of "Krackatoa," the chocolate lava rushes out to meet you.  Additionally, the vanilla ice cream, made with so much vanilla bean that you can actually see the specks, wasn't your Haagen daz.


Son.. (sorry for the pic. At this time, my iPhone and Canon were now dead and I had to go over to Blackberry land.  Shout out to April for holding me down.)
I loved the milk chocolate taste, although my partner would have preferred a dark chocolate one.  Nevertheless, this dish is so good that you just might wanna come in an try it out for $9 (but you might as well cop the pre-fixe lunch for $28).

Service:  Surgical.  Everything about the service was precise.  Our waiter, Nicholas, moved with clock-like precision as he catered to our needs.  It was like he was running football routes in the dining room.  The staff was super attentive; as soon as I was out of water or bread a person appeared to re-up.  It was a good display of teamwork.

Setting: Unpretentious.  Because of the glass windows, Nougatine is great place to go to on a sunny day.  The natural light really makes the place feel light despite being housed in the Trump Hotel (no knock on the Trump). One would think that this restaurant is uppity, but it is far from it.  We ate amongst families, friends, children, etc.  While each table has its own conversation going, the restaurant volume barely rises above a murmur.  You can actually hear yourself think.   Engrossed in respective conversation, NO REALLY CARES WHO YOU ARE!  It was the great place to catch up with a good friend.

Recommendations:  Great for 3rd dates, Sunday lunches,  power lunches for brokering business, great restaurant to attend before a Broadway play, before seeing a movie.

Recommendation: A+.  I will be back.

- Maven Out!

2 comments:

  1. I've been craving french food lately. I just might check this place out. The photos are mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear. God. Kwad, that calamari looks orgasmic. And I've nommed me some fried squid in my day. Adding it to the list. Nice find, sir.

    I look forward to perusing the rest of the site...

    Cheers,
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete