Google Search

Custom Search

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Kittichai - Dope Thai Brunch Spot That Won't Break the Bank

Last week, I celebrated the birthday of one my new favorite people, Kristen Rich.  Kristen is both friend and employee, as we've collaborated on several nightlife events over the past year and a half.  A unique blend of advanced maturity and organizational skills make Kristen a real winner in my book, and I'd probably do most anything for her at this point in our lives. So when she asked about 15 friends to squad up for brunch in SoHo, despite a long night out on the city, I was both honored and naturally down.


Kristen selected Kittichai, which, coincidentally, is where I ended up on New Year's Eve after a minor snafu.  I don't want to get into it....

Wait, why are there flowers flying all over the place?  Well, the place is pretty magical..


Kittichai is a dope sexy brunch spot to which you can take a date.  Let's spend some time profiling the place:


The Bar

Decent Wine Selection



You know I had to let the Canon blast off and limit all of the color to the fruit



Ya feel me?

 The dining area is outta control...


The Lead-in to the dinner area.



Lily Pads floatin' in the water with flowers floating above in the sky.

For some reason, this was slightly balleristic to me and reminded me of P. Diddy's "Victory Video." Where he had mermaids swimmin' in the club.

 Something like this...


Ok, maybe not this... but what would YOU think if you walked into a club and saw a mermaid in the pool? 

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...


$35 dollars at Kittichai gets you an entree and a 2-hour bottomless "happy hour" comprised of bellinis and mimosas.  This includes tax AND TIP.  Needless to say, everyone was a big fan of this, as it facilitated the optimal state in which to celebrate Kristen's birthday.  Entrees ensued:

Asian 5 Spice French Toast, Thai Basil and Fruit compote. Despite being rated a 6 out of 10, it was gobbled up with the quickness.


Smoked Salmon, grilled naan bread, onion, fresh mozz, cream cheese, tomatoes. Standing ovay.

The young lady who ate this described the dish as pretty tasty.  She was impressed by how well all the ingredients came together.  The fresh mozzarella was a new twist on the traditional locks dish.




Kittichai Omlette, Thai Sour sausage, Jumbo crab
The Kittichai omelet was a fan favorite.  I think it took home the gold medal.  Peep the comments by some of my guests:

"This was possibly the best omelet I've encountered in life."  - BC


"I concur. the friggin' best. and i don't even think there was any cheese involved. Imagine that." -KB






So if you know me, you know I gots to be different.  Some may ask, "Food Mave, why you gots to be different?"  It's just what I do.  As Busta Rhymes said in his famous rap song "Gimme Some More," if I ain't gon be part of the greatest, I gotta be the greatest myself."   I decided NOT to do the bottomless drink brunch and decided to go WITH an option with a little more value.  It was Restaurant Week, after all, and I spotted the deal of the day. Besides Saturday had been a rough night :-( 






For Restaurant week, Kittichai had a $20 three course prix-fixe lunch that I couldn't pass up.  So I sacrificed the drink to holler at somemore food.  This is what I got:


Seared Duck Soy Broth with Asian celery and young coconut.  First of all, what the heck is "young coconut"???  Sounds like a suspect rapper to me.  Young Money, baaaaby...


The seared duck soup was a great appetizer. Because it was light and did not fill one up, it only moderately opened up my taste buds.  The soy and coconut married very well -t he coconut wasn't overpowering because the soy curtailed the sweetness - and the dish left me wanting the main course.




Kittichai gets a B on this dish and a C+ on presentation.  C'mon son...


The chili-smoked hanger steak, long beans, and preserved chili jam was good! They didn't overwhelm you with massive amount of meat (full stop), which was nice.  But the dish wasn't amazing.  I might just get that good 'ol Pad Thai next time and call it a wrap. #WhenBeingDifferentGoesWrong



The Flourless Valrhona Cake (which came wrapped in some foilage) with fresh cream. B+ on taste. A- on presentation.



Watching my weight, I got my Tenacious D on with the flourless cake (for those of you who don't know what I'm referring to by Tenacious D, shame on you!  Check out Jack Black HERE) because I'm trying to watch my weight.  The dish was good and went well with the cream.

Overall, Kittichai is a sexy spot worthy of any date.  The low ceilings and tranquility pool in the middle really set a nice ambiance.  Furthermore, it won't break the wallet because there's no regularly-priced entree above $16.  It's also great for large parties with friends you really care about.


Aight, it's time to go play some basketball.


Maven Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment